Saturday, September 29, 2012

Net Neutrality


 
 
I would never want to imagine a world where I would not be able to access google via my mobile web. First, I currently pay too much for my wireless service as it is.  You are probably thinking to yourself, well, that's your choice.
 
Let me explain a few things...
 
I use my cell phone more that I use my laptop to access the web. I mean, I always have it on me and it is so much more convenient for the following reasons:
 
 1. I don't have to plug in my laptop,
2. Turn it on
3. Sign in
4. Wait for it to load
 
Yes, I have fallen victim to our "right here, right now" society !
 
Since we now know that I am impaitent, Not having serivice will and can not ever be an option. I must have all bars at all time and google has to be accesible. You see, I have a very curious six year old second grader who asks questions like,
"Mom, how many species live on the Great Barrier Reef." Chances are he already knows the answer because he is an avid reader, but he wants to see how smart his mommy is, since I always reply before the answer, "Mommies know everything" LOL. Well, little does he know, mommy googles her answer and that way I always look like a genius to my big boy.
 
GOOGLE IS MY CHOICE, keywords, MY CHOICE, to obtain information!
 
So I choose Verizon and I pay them a fortune because they have the most towers and I can be all the way in Timbuktu and I will have service. Guranteed.
 
Therefore, if Verizon decided to negotiate an expensive contract with say Bing and slowed down service on my beloved google I would be irate.

 I pay for Verizon for a service and the freedom to access whichever site at the 4g LTE speed that I was guranteed at the time I renewed my contract. I am a capable adult and for anyone to choose what information I can and can not access is taking aways my ability to make decisions for myself.
 
So you may ask yourself, Candice, what exactly are speaking to? I am speaking to net neutrality. The definition given online states internet service providers shouldn't be allowed to block, degrade, or charge extra for legal content and applications that run on the NET.

 What are your thoughts on net neutrality? How can we regulate the internet without any hidden agendas so that all parties involved act in the consumers best interest?





1 comment: